July 18, 2011

5 Tips to Plan a RTW-trip (Round The World)

......................................................................................................................................................................

Being in Oslo and with Silje reminds me a lot of our trip around the world. I thought I would make a short guide on how others could go on such a trip.


1. Save money
- Depends on the length of your trip and what countries you choose to visit (see other posts about saving money HERE, HERE, HERE, )


| Guy working on his car in Cuba |


2.Contact a traveling agency
- Or not.. There are several ways to create your own journey online, you just need to realize that it will take a lot of time and effort to put together a big trip. I started out trying to create my own trip online, but I also contacted Kilroy; an agency that has focused on backpacking and long journeys. In the end I compared the prices on the trip I had created myself online and the prices Kilroy offered and they were cheaper, most likely due to partnership and special discount-agreements.

 
3.Start planning a year a head
- Or not, again.. Some people love to plan, some don't..
I have to admit I am one of those who love to plan and to picture all the wonderful things I am going to experience. I have come to learn that it is much easier to save money to when you can picture all the things you need your money for while traveling.


| Local bus in Samoa - Paradise in heaven |

 
4. Prepare your life for some months absence
-Do you need to quit your job/ask for a leave of absence?
- Can you rent out your apartment/sell your apartment?
-Other obligations; ask to postpone your loan, sell your car, ask someone to take care of your pet etc..


5. Talk to people who have been on a similar trip
- like me :)
- check out our blog from the Worldtrip


| Me posing in a statue in Australian Zoo, Brisbane | 


Do you have any more general start-up advice?

0 comments:

Post a Comment